Wednesday, December 9, 2009

We were born before the wind, also younger than the sun

So, I'm really not sure how I get paid for this job. Obviously, this is the perfect job for a lazy person such as myself, ha! This is what I mean: I just had a lovely 5-day weekend, rolled out of bed for my one lesson today which began at 12:30 only to find out that it was the ONLY lesson I have this week. Therefore, I now have a 4-day weekend in front of me! Ahhh, this is the life!! And now I only have 3 days of work in front of until I leave for the United States! But, the one weekend I have no plans for of course ends up being a surprise 4-day weekend! I might go skiing or go to a Maturaball, but I don't know. I had originally thought I'd go to Vienna this weekend, but plans changed a bit...but now I want to go! We'll see...

Anyway, my weekend in Graz was a blast. I drove down with a teacher, which was awesome and saved me €15 and I got to speak German the whole time haha. I stayed with my friend Justin who lives in the same building as my friend Peter, and Dan stayed with Peter, so the four of us hung out the entire weekend. I love those guys. We went out every night with other assistants and Dan and I went shopping on Saturday. Saturday night was a party at an assistant's place, and we played all of the traditional American drinking games - Beer Pong (somehow we had real Solo cups!), Kings and, my fave, Flip Cup. Twas great! And we also spent a lot of time drinking Glühwein and eating roasted chestnuts at the Christmas market, which is an amazing tradition and really put me in the Christmas mood. Imagine: standing outside around a table with five good friends, drinking a hot drink, peeling chestnuts, hearing a Christmas choir or a band in the background of your conversation, Christmas lights everywhere, people everywhere, everyone bundled up. Couldn't be more perfect, if you ask me. Also, I got to eat delicious Chinese food, too! Needless to say, I was quite happy.

So, I'm more convinced than ever that I need to get out of Bad Aussee next year and into a big city. There is a good number of assistants in Graz and they go out together everyday! I want to be able to go out to lunch or have a drink with friends whenever I want. I got back to Bad Aussee Monday evening, and Tuesday was the most horribly boring day I've had here, mostly because I knew what I was missing in Graz (and I'm getting quite anxious and excited to be home). So, I surveyed the assistants in Graz and at least two are for sure staying there next year. Cross your fingers I can get placed there as well! I'm starting to work on my application today, but it's not too intense, just have to write a paragraph in German about why I want to stay/transfer. Should be quite simple.

Other than that, I'm starting to train for a half-marathon... not sure I mentioned it. It's happening on April 18th in Vienna and two other girls (assistants, too) are doing it. Some may laugh (I would at myself for dreaming of running a half-marathon), but I have 18ish weeks and I found a simple training plan, so I should be able to do it! I'm pretty pumped! Just gotta get over my laziness...but now that I have a goal, I think I'll be able to motivate myself, ha!

Alright, that's about it for now! Can't wait to see all you stuck in America VERY SOON!!!
Cheers,
Alaina

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I hope you do 1) stay in Austria (as NOTHING is happening here economically this year or the next!) 2) put in for a transfer to Graz or another big city in Austria (you summed up all of the reasons in this post!) 3) get your wonderful self here quickly so we can celebrate a spectacular Christmas-time together :) Hugs and kisses xoxoxo mom

    ReplyDelete